Directions from the Rail Station
York Station is less than 10 minutes walk away, including a footbridge over the river.
- Do not exit from the main station entrance.
- From your arrival platform at York Station, find platform number 2a (situated just to the side of platform 3 at the northern side of the station).
- At the nearest end of platform 2a are some Gents toilets – go to the right of these toilets and into the short stay car park. Walk to the far end of the car park (past the rental car bays).
- Now take the zig zag cycle & pedestrian ramp down to the path and turn left – this path leads you down to the river side. Look across the river and you will see the Abbey Guest House directly opposite you.
- Take the steps up onto the footbridge which is to your left and walk across the river. Enter the Abbey Guest House by the front gate.
If you have any problems, please call us and we will direct you in – 01904 627782.
Directions by Road
Most sat-nav systems recognise our postcode YO30 7BQ correctly and will bring you very close to the house. Traffic in York can be very heavy and we suggest you avoid using the inner ring road by using the following route.
- Join the A1237 York outer ring road from your approach road.
- Take the A19 turning (from the north side of the city) into the city centre – the junction is at the Rawcliffe Bar Park & Ride site, and you will see a Busy Bees children’s Nursery on the roundabout.
- Follow the road into the city for approximately 2 miles, going straight ahead at the traffic lights at Clifton Green.
- Once you have passed the Churchill Hotel on the left and the York Register Office on the right look out for the road Marygate to the right – the end of the road is marked with a tower which once formed part of St Mary’s Abbey.
- Turn down Marygate, follow the road and bear right into Hetherton Street. If you reach the river you have gone too far!
- At Marygate Car Park turn left and then immediately right which will take you down behind the row of houses which is Earlsborough Terrace.
- Park in one of the marked guest bays, directly behind the guest house. Follow the marked route to the Guest House entrance. If you are arriving before 1400, please leave your luggage in your car.
*Please note, private parking will NOT be available from 29 April 2019.*
Marygate Public Car Park is immediately behind the Guest House and is the most convenient parking option.
Distances and driving times to key UK cities
|CITY||APPROX. DISTANCE TO YORK||APPROX. ROAD TRAVEL TIME|
|LEEDS||25 miles||45 minutes|
|EDINBURGH||200 miles||4 ½ hours|
|LONDON||200 miles||5 hours|
|STRATFORD UPON AVON||120 miles||2 ½ hours|
|CHESTER||100 miles||3 hours|
|BATH||180 miles||5 hours|