Directions from York Rail Station
*Please note our temporary directions due to the closure of Scarborough Bridge whilst the pedestrian access is upgraded – approximately 15 minute walk*
- Exit York rail station from the main entrance.
- Bear left onto station road, follow this road past the memorial gardens, through the arch and across the river over Lendal Bridge.
- Use the river side path (Dame Judy Dench Walk) on the North side of the river (steps down from the bridge) or walk through Museum Gardens (no steps), exit on Marygate.
- Keep on the riverside path, or if coming from Museum Gardens turn left to meet the riverside path & turn right until you reach the next bridge.
- Abbey Guest House is the last house on your right on Earlsborough Terrace.
If you have any problems, please call us and we will direct you in – 01904 627782.
Directions by Road
Most sat-nav systems recognise our postcode YO30 7BQ correctly and will bring you very close to the house. Traffic in York can be very heavy and we suggest you avoid using the inner ring road by using the following route.
- Join the A1237 York outer ring road from your approach road.
- Take the A19 turning (from the north side of the city) into the city centre – the junction is at the Rawcliffe Bar Park & Ride site, and you will see a Busy Bees children’s Nursery on the roundabout.
- Follow the road into the city for approximately 2 miles, going straight ahead at the traffic lights at Clifton Green.
- Once you have passed the Churchill Hotel on the left and the York Register Office on the right look out for the road Marygate to the right – the end of the road is marked with a tower which once formed part of St Mary’s Abbey.
- Turn down Marygate, follow the road and bear right into Hetherton Street. If you reach the river you have gone too far!
- At Marygate Car Park turn left and then immediately right which will take you down behind the row of houses which is Earlsborough Terrace.
- Park in one of the marked guest bays, directly behind the guest house. Follow the marked route to the Guest House entrance. If you are arriving before 1400, please leave your luggage in your car.
*Please note, private parking will NOT be available from 29 April 2019.*
Marygate Public Car Park is immediately behind the Guest House and is the most convenient parking option.
Distances and driving times to key UK cities
|CITY||APPROX. DISTANCE TO YORK||APPROX. ROAD TRAVEL TIME|
|LEEDS||25 miles||45 minutes|
|EDINBURGH||200 miles||4 ½ hours|
|LONDON||200 miles||5 hours|
|STRATFORD UPON AVON||120 miles||2 ½ hours|
|CHESTER||100 miles||3 hours|
|BATH||180 miles||5 hours|