Directions from York Rail Station
- Do not exit the main station entrance.
- From your arrival platform at York Station, find platform number 2 (at the northern end of the station).
- Keeping platform 2 on your left and York Tap pub on your right, walk through the short stay car park. Go to the end and you will see a freshly tarmacked path, this will take you across the new Scarborough footbridge.
- Look to the opposite side of the river and you will have a fabulous view of the Abbey Guest House!
- Until the route is completely finished, you will need to follow the ramp and exit past the guest house. (Update: a temporary staircase is now open which brings you down to the side of the guest house). Turn right to cut across the car park and right again to reach the river front.
- Turn right again on the river front (you are doubling back on yourself) and walk to the end of the footpath, you are now at the front of the house. Go through the gate to the front door.
Directions by Road
Most sat-nav systems recognise our postcode YO30 7BQ correctly and will bring you very close to the house. Traffic in York can be very heavy and we suggest you avoid using the inner ring road by using the following route.
- Join the A1237 York outer ring road from your approach road.
- Take the A19 turning (from the north side of the city) into the city centre – the junction is at the Rawcliffe Bar Park & Ride site, and you will see a Busy Bees children’s Nursery on the roundabout.
- Follow the road into the city for approximately 2 miles, going straight ahead at the traffic lights at Clifton Green.
- Once you have passed the Churchill Hotel on the left and the York Register Office on the right look out for the road Marygate to the right – the end of the road is marked with a tower which once formed part of St Mary’s Abbey.
- Turn down Marygate, follow the road and bear right into Hetherton Street. If you reach the river you have gone too far!
- At Marygate Car Park turn left and then immediately right which will take you down behind the row of houses which is Earlsborough Terrace.
- Park in one of the marked guest bays, directly behind the guest house. The side entrance is temporarily unavailable, so walk to the other end of the terrace and join the riverside path to the front of the house. If you are arriving before 1400, please leave your luggage in your car.
*Please note, free private parking will NOT be available from 01 July 2019.*
Marygate Public Car Park is immediately behind the Guest House and is the most convenient parking option.
Distances and driving times to key UK cities
|CITY||APPROX. DISTANCE TO YORK||APPROX. ROAD TRAVEL TIME|
|LEEDS||25 miles||45 minutes|
|EDINBURGH||200 miles||4 ½ hours|
|LONDON||200 miles||5 hours|
|STRATFORD UPON AVON||120 miles||2 ½ hours|
|CHESTER||100 miles||3 hours|
|BATH||180 miles||5 hours|