Directions from York Rail Station
- Do not exit the main station entrance.
- From your arrival platform at York Station, find platform number 2 (at the northern end of the station).
- Keeping platform 2 on your left and York Tap pub on your right, walk through the short stay car park. Go to the end and you will see a freshly tarmacked path, this will take you across the new Scarborough footbridge.
- Look to the opposite side of the river and you will have a fabulous view of the Abbey Guest House!
- On the North side of the river, a staircase or ramp will bring you down to the side of the guest house, use our side entrance (wooden gate with a green sign) to wheel your cases to our green front door.
Directions by Road
Most sat-nav systems recognise our postcode YO30 7BQ correctly and will bring you very close to the house. Traffic in York can be very heavy and we suggest you avoid using the inner ring road by using the following route.
- Join the A1237 York outer ring road from your approach road.
- Take the A19 turning (from the north side of the city) into the city centre – the junction is at the Rawcliffe Bar Park & Ride site, and you will see a Busy Bees children’s Nursery on the roundabout.
- Follow the road into the city for approximately 2 miles, going straight ahead at the traffic lights at Clifton Green.
- Once you have passed the Churchill Hotel on the left and the York Register Office on the right look out for the road Marygate to the right – the end of the road is marked with a tower which once formed part of St Mary’s Abbey.
- Turn down Marygate, follow the road and bear right into Hetherton Street. If you reach the river you have gone too far!
- At the end of Hetherton Street, the entrance for Marygate public car park is immediately opposite.
- Park in Marygate car park (press any button for a ticket to raise the barrier) and then come to the guest house ( we are on the river to the far right of the terrace) to collect your parking vouchers to display in your vehicle. If you are arriving before 1400, please leave your luggage in your vehicle, thank you.
Distances and driving times to key UK cities
|CITY||APPROX. DISTANCE TO YORK||APPROX. ROAD TRAVEL TIME|
|LEEDS||25 miles||45 minutes|
|EDINBURGH||200 miles||4 ½ hours|
|LONDON||200 miles||5 hours|
|STRATFORD UPON AVON||120 miles||2 ½ hours|
|CHESTER||100 miles||3 hours|
|BATH||180 miles||5 hours|